Since times immemorial, carpets played an important role in covering up the floor. From places of worship to homes, from commercial centres to event grounds, from staircases to podiums, using and placing of carpets have almost become ritualistic. Whether it is in residential areas or commercial spaces, carpets play an integral part in shaping up the décor. But the buck does not stop there. Carpets are not used for mere ornamentation – functionality is a key aspect popularising carpets. Carpets protect the floor from wear and tear, absorbs a lot of traffic friction, dust and pollution etc. And in some cases, its plushness creates a protective layering between you and the hard surface of the floor.
It’s but natural that whatever we invest in and buy, we expect a longer life for the same. We always want to see our home (and it’s décor) to stay intact and beautiful for years to come. And that is why we take a lot of measures to maintain them. The same goes for the carpet that we buy for our home. Obviously, when you are so excited to choose an attractive pattern and colour for the same to adorn your house, you would want it to retain its lustre for longer.
How to Maintain Carpets like they are forever New?
If you are just too obsessed with your home décor and want your home to look perfect and stunning always, it’s your duty to maintain the same. From proper care to cleaning, everything has to be looked after for extending their life. Just like the human inhabitants of the house! And the same goes for the carpet! Read below how you can create a cycle of steps to look after your carpet properly:
- The carpet type and material matter a lot — When you hit the stores to buy carpet, it is easy to get lost in the look, colours, designs and feel. But you have to see beyond that. If you want something to look beautiful and live longer, you will have to buy something that has the capability of doing so. Some carpets, even if you try, won’t last longer than 2-4 years. While there are luxury carpets too which are thick and made up of excellent material which automatically guarantees its longer life and durability. Even the weight of the carpet counts, apart from the quality. When you are out to buy one for your home, make sure you are inquiring about the quality and durability of the same, and then selecting the best one within the spectrum of your budget.
- Vacuum your carpets Regularly — A carpet is prone to dirt and debris, just like any floor is, in fact, perhaps more! A daily vacuuming of the carpets doesn’t let the dirt to build up and spoil its beauty, or spread polluted air as a matter of fact!Just make sure your vacuum speed is as per the requirement of the make of the carpet (follow the maintenance guidance provided by the manufacturer).
- Monthly professional cleaning —A daily cleaning of carpet is essential no doubt. But do you know, some of the penetrated dirt in the carpets do not get removed even by regular vacuuming? For those built up dust and even germs, a professional cleaning session of the carpets has to be carried out once in a month or two by experts like those from Citie Carpet Cleaning, known for best carpet cleaning in Harrogate. They’ll professionally and perfectly clean your carpets thoroughly, making it look new and fresh again (not to mention germ free too!). This deep cleaning also increases the life of the carpet, as it would then get less prone to early wear.
- Saving from high traffic — There are some areas that are exposed to large traffic. This constant footfall on the carpet creates friction, and may wear it early, and can fade it too. Therefore, placing rugs on such areas (like — near washroom, bed, lounging area, etc.) extends the life of the carpet and prevents its early wear.
- Rotating of furniture — Your furniture, if kept at a single place for a long time, wears that particular spot on the carpet. There can also be dirt accumulation on the area, which further leads to its spoiling. A rotation of your furniture at-least every six months prevents this issue and keeps your carpet intact for longer.
Further, you can also make it a habit to bring no shoes in the carpeted areas and place doormats at the entrance to make your carpets stay better for longer. The better your efforts are, the longer you can enjoy the benefits of the carpet.